Printer Drivers

My old Laserjet is just beginning to be cranky in paper handling,
so I am preparing for the worst by looking into current printers.
There are two types that interest me, the 1200dpi B&W laserjets
such as the HP 4050, and the 600dpi Deskjet 970C, which gives up
a little speed and resolution in return for color (which would
occasionally be handy) and built-in duplexing--not bad for a $400
printer.

The question is whether XyDOS will support 1200dpi printing,
color, and duplexing. If I use a HPPCL driver, does that include
these features? I presume that XyWin, since I print via Windows,
will have no problem. Both word processors are important to me.
Can anyone speak from experience with other HP printers more
recent than the XyDOS 4.017 release?

Thanks and cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin